Monday, August 2, 2010

What the universe wants makes no sense

How is it that our bodies maintain any sort of cohesion when the whole universe says spin apart old man?

Electricity consistently fires across grey matter and synapses, allowing us to, for example, successfully lift a flavoured coffee to our lips and (most importantly) collectively agree that it is a mistake to have done so. This unimaginable feat reminds me of airplanes staying in the air only because other humans tell us that this is what airplanes want to do.

It seems a miracle that almost everyone has fingernails and that my face, while occasionally burdened with pimples, doesn’t simply detach from my skull as I brush my teeth which are remarkably similar to yours and the Portuguese woman with the fat Schnauzer down the street.

Today I bought groceries and succeeded in my tasks of coming home with whole grain bread, assorted fruits and frozen pineapple juice. But as I paid for the items I had also wondered how it is that electrons continue to fire, that I don’t simply disintegrate into the wild miracle of the universe.

No comments: