Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Old haunts for new birds

“I did mange to meet the ghost from the upstairs closet (large bedroom), followed me around for a whole day.” So wrote David Hoffos in the Macaulay House residency journal that I've been perusing this afternoon.

Outside my bedroom window (I'm not in the large, haunted bedroom) there’s a songbird who has been my bedtime companion over the last weeks. If I was more of a birder I’d be able to list its name, and while I love painting birds I’m lazy with my ornithology so I haven’t come to any sort of answer. Laying in bed at 2am his repetitive call is a comforting cadence and a pleasure to nod off to.

With light peeking through the dark plastic blind, the six note refrain also begins to sound like the slow pendulum rhythm of a rusty swing set. For some reason it sits a little spookily with me but that’s because I watched too many horror films as a teenager and people keep asking me if I’ve met the McCauley House ghost. In this gold rush town myths die hard and while I haven’t met the ghost I have a songbird offering me lullabies. If asked, that seems worthy of some small legend.

7 comments:

shannongerard said...

journal?

Scott Waters said...

Fixeroo?

shanne said...

is that like the dreaded "fixie" that you never get to see because he disappears from the frame right before you arrive?

or wait, you want ALL fixies to disappear.

this is me trying to use "bike lingo."

dude, don't snake my line!

shanne said...

zaboomafu?

pekenese?

haha-- what are those other cute ones?

bunny hop!

Scott Waters said...

I am happy to currently be in a fixed-gear exclusion zone. One of the last in N. America.

Scott Waters said...

Abubaca
Fufanu
Papa Wheelie
Fakie

That's all I got

shanne said...

that'll do, pig.