Sunday, June 6, 2010

What's that noise?

This morning I was awoken by an intermittent fading and lamenting electronic whine. At first I assumed it was Kerri’s (the other residency artist) alarm clock as it was coming from a distance and was intermittent. The noise of what could be described as a wounded cyborg wasn’t abating though, so I finally got up to check it out.

As it turns out the noise was the smoke alarm being activated by a burst water pipe in the ceiling, drowning the alarm and flooding the residency house. The good news is neither our work nor possessions was overly affected though there’s damage to the walls, floors and ceilings of the living room, kitchen and Kerri’s studio.

The scenario of waking up to a wounded cyborg and a subsequently raining ceiling is a little confounding at 6am on a Sunday morning but when all was said and done, the outcome could have been much worse.

We’re now out of the building and have been put up at individual cabins at The Triple J Hotel. The cabins are pretty cute with tiny kitchenettes and I have a table with a window at which to paint. The only down side is the lack of internet access, which I can only gain by sitting in the lobby of the hotel.

As I look out the window of my temporary new home I am slightly reminded of a WW2 era army training camp or high-end fruit pickers shacks in Kelowna. For example:












Work continues though as can be almost viewed by my sketch of Shannon in the above photo.

Now though, I’m heading back to the studio to collect my ziplock bag of Earl Grey tea. I have already brought the milk and cereal with me. Stability has almost been achieved.

No comments: